Thursday, February 21, 2008

A Time of Reflection....

I'm not new to the military lifestyle, I was raised an Air Force brat. As a child, my family even lived overseas for a while. But I have to admit, this is the first time I've faced restrictions on my freedom to go where I please.

Currently, we (we, meaning all SOFA (States of Forces Agreement) personnel stationed in Okinawa) are in a period of "reflection," a lock down-- to be more exact.

Due to some unfortunate incidents involving U.S Service members and the local Okinawan people, all SOFA personnel are restricted to 'on base' activites only.

Kevin and I live off-base, so during this lockdown, we are not permitted to go shopping at the local Japanese grocery stores, eat out at area restaurants, nor venture out to our beach (just a hop and a skip away from our house).

We are allowed to go from 'base to base,' but going out into the public is banned. It's unclear how long this will last....Frustrating...

Ah well....here's hoping it doesn't go on too long....

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails