Thursday, December 6, 2007

Christmas vacation...

This Christmas, Kevin and I will be visiting my parents in the United Arab Emirates. We will be flying from Okinawa, to Seoul, Korea, and then to Dubai. Both of us have never been there before, so we are really looking forward to it.

My parents live in Abu Dhabi and the city of Dubai (the "Las Vegas" of the Middle East) is about two hours away by car. Dubai is a rapidly growing city, right on the mouth of the Persian Gulf. The city has seen a major transformation in recent years with new infrastructure sprouting up everywhere. There is so much oil money here, the city has built its own beaches and islands (they have already built islands resembling a palm tree called the "Palm Islands'). Now they are working on the "World Islands" said to resemble the globe.

Should be an interesting trip. :)

Yesterday, we had some nice weather, so I went down to Toguchi Beach to take some photos. This beach is across the street from our house and has some great sunset views. When the tide goes out, you can see marine life collected in tidepools. You can often see local Okinawans fishing and netting. The beach also offers pavilions for BBQs. There are walking paths, gazebos, and a park with a slide for kids to play.






We even have two wild cats who live on the beach. They are pretty friendly and don't seem to be too afraid of people. I have noticed that someone gives them food to eat so they don't go hungry. One cat is really thin, (seen pictured below) I think he may be the "son" of the other cat. Hard to tell...



Kevin tells me not to "pet" them but it's hard not to....



Aren't they cute?

Since coming here, I've noticed that Okinawa has a big problem with stray cats and dogs. It's sad to see so many animals on the streets. Most people don't pay attention to them--but I can't help but want to help them out in some way. There is a local organization here on the island (OOARS-Okinawan American Rescue Society) that tries to help these animals. I've seen members of OOARS at events on base. I think I may sign up to volunteer....

I may not be able to do much in controlling the population, but it's the least I can do.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails