Saturday, September 13, 2008

Hong Kong Continued...

I told you we walked a lot on our first day. The first post was only half of Day 1 on Hong Kong. This is the 2nd half. Needless to say, you can understand why after this day, our feet were aching....

After spending the morning in Kowloon, we decided to go to one of the outer lying islands of Hong Kong for a small break from all the chaos of the city. We decided to take a ferry to the island of Cheung Chau to spend the afternoon there.

On our way to the ferry pier, we took a stroll through some more open air markets.....



We came across a small temple....This temple is called Tin Hau temple.





Buddhist temples and shrines can be found all over Hong Kong. This is a view from inside the temple. These incense coils are made to burn for 10 days....



Once on the ferry, Kevin took a few photos as we approached the island of Cheung Chau. The island is about 10 kilometres away from Hong Kong island and does not have any vehicles.

This island is a small fishing island community known for its seafood, pretty evident by the number of junk boats and sampans visible in the harbor.





Once we arrived on Cheung Chau, we walked to the beach.





And stopped at a small cafe. I had a refreshing iced milk tea while Kev enjoyed a beer. For some reason, the beer San Miguel is very popular on Hong Kong, despite the fact it is imported from the Philippines.



We found another temple and had our fortune read....I am expected to have a fruitful and prosperous year end....

This is Pak Tai temple, considered to be one of the oldest in Hong Kong.



Does this look familiar? I'll give you a hint....rhymes with "Lisa."



After the temple, we headed back to the harbor to scout out our dinner. Did I mention how much Kevin and I love seafood?!?!?



Can you see what these are? Don't worry, Kev and I didn't eat any of these guys...





Once back at the harbor, we decided to eat at a restaurant recommended by our Lonely Planet guidebook-The New Bacarrat. We are so glad we did, the food was absolutely delicious!



Here I am enjoying the view and trying to find out what to do next according to our guidebook. This dish is steamed whole fish with onions and garlic. I was able to choose the fish I wanted from the aquarium. Of course, I couldn't tell you what the fish is called....I just pointed to it... :)



These are actually called "mantis shrimp." Boy, they were tasty. They are prepared by lightly frying them and tossing them with some chili oil and spiced salt. You peel off the shell and eat....I know they look a bit odd and somewhat "bug like" but really, they were SOOOO good. I think they were my favorite.



We ordered so much food...the steamed vegetables were another favorite.



With our bellies full, we decided to call it a day and head back to Kowloon to go to sleep....

1 comment:

Blake and Hollie said...

I love how you two are so adventurous and not afraid to try anything new. Looks like you had a good time. Thanks for sharing your travels to Hong Kong.

Related Posts with Thumbnails