Saturday, October 4, 2008

Opening weekend of Ragtime....

Well, we did it! Our opening weekend of the POPS production of the musical "Ragtime" was a success! We opened officially on Thursday, had an evening performance on Friday, and a matinee and another evening performance on Saturday. Needless to say, I am very tired. I think my voice is as well, I feel really congested and my throat hurts a bit.... The good news is that we had full houses for all the performances.

I did hear that a few people got up to leave in the middle of the performance due to the adult nature of some the dialogue, but there's not too much that can be done about that. Ragtime is a musical based on the novel of the same title by the author E. L Doctorow. It is a fictional story with some historical accuracies and facts weaved in. The novel AND the musical deal with some "thorny" issues such as racism, prejudice, womens' rights and liberation, free speech, child labor, money, sex, love, violence, and war.... Some of the themes and topics may be a bit difficult for young children to understand, but I think for the older children, this musical has a very important message. Parents should explain the nature and the historical back story of this time period (early 1900's) before taking their children. That way, when people hear offensive language, they won't be offended. It sort of irritates me that people would come to our show and then leave in the middle of it. I understand the show is long, but really, open up your mind and understand that this is a "dramatization." No one on stage condones the language or behavior in any way. This is my blog, so I can say what I think. I'm sorry if you think I'm being a bit harsh.....

Anyway, I'll get off my soap box now. For those of you out there who want to see a wonderful and powerful show, please come out to the Foster Performing Arts Center to see it.

I leave you with a few photos.

Love, Chrissy :)




Related Posts with Thumbnails